Representative Gary Peters has frequently voted against progressive priorities in an extremely safe Democratic D+29 district. President Barack Obama won MI-14 with 81% of the vote in 2012.
Where there would be a few reasons to primary:
- In 2013, Rep. Peters voted for a bank-written bill that would dismantle key derivatives regulations in the Dodd-Frank financial reform law
- In 2013, Rep. Peters joined 30 Democrats in supporting a House Republican bill that made it easier for retirement fund managers to rip off savers
- In 2013, Rep. Peters voted for a House Republican bill that would restore low-quality insurance plans to the Obamacare exchanges, and undermine the health care law
- Rep. Peters broke ranks with Democrats on Republican message votes partially restoring funding for various popular programs during the government shutdown. Their purpose was to strengthen Republicans politically in the shutdown fight.
- Rep. Peters voted to delay the individual mandate, which would weaken Obamacare’s insurance exchange markets.
Congressman Peters is currently running for Senate in the D+4 state of Michigan — so while primarying him in this very liberal House seat will not be necessary, we should keep in mind that he was a very poor fit for MI-14 and should make an appropriate progressive choice for his replacement in 2014.