Representative Filemon Vela has consistently voted against progressives in a liberal district. President Barack Obama won TX-34 with 61% of the vote in 2012. It’s time to have a real progressive representing the people of Texas’s 34th congressional district.
A Few Reasons to Primary:
- In 2011, Rep. Vela was still a Republican. We can do better in a D+8 district.
- In 2013, Rep. Vela voted with Republicans to bar the EPA from regulating coal ash, which is more radioactive than nuclear waste
- In 2013, Rep. Vela voted for the Energy Consumers Relief Act, one of many Republican bills designed to gut the EPA’s regulatory authority
- In 2013, Rep. Vela voted for the REINS Act – one of the zanier Republican ideas to cripple Executive Branch agencies’ regulatory authority
- In 2013, Rep. Vela voted for Republicans’ No Budget, No Pay gimmick – a messaging vote they used to troll Senate Democrats
- In 2013, Rep. Vela voted against the House Progressive Caucus’s “Back to Work” budget